The Western Cape Government has called on the Stellenbosch Municipality to consider instituting water restrictions as a precautionary measure amid ongoing drought conditions and forecasts of a below-average winter rainfall season in the province.
Image: File
The Western Cape Government has called on the Stellenbosch Municipality to consider instituting water restrictions as a precautionary measure amid ongoing drought conditions and forecasts of a below-average winter rainfall season in the province.
Anton Bredell, MEC for Local Government, Environmental Affairs and Development Planning, met with senior officials from several municipalities last week to assess their water security status and the steps being taken to deal with drought.
The municipalities included Stellenbosch, Beaufort West, Laingsburg, and Prins Albert.
“Given the provincial drought classification and the South African Weather Service’s prediction of a below-average rainfall winter season, we would strongly recommend that Stellenbosch consider instituting water restrictions as a precautionary measure,” Mr Bredell said.
He added that the Idas Valley Dam is currently about 30% full. The municipality is working to bring water from the Kleinplasie Dam into the system, and several boreholes are already being used to boost supply.
The municipality has appealed to residents to reduce water consumption by 15%, although no formal water restrictions are currently in place.
Stuart Grobbelaar, spokesperson for Stellenbosch Municipality, said the municipality has taken note of the MEC’s advice and the suggested precautionary measures.
“An item is going to Council to declare an emergency. Such a state of emergency is needed before the Council may implement water drought tariffs. Council will consider this on Friday, February 27. The public has already been requested to save 15% of consumption,” he said.
Mr Grobbelaar confirmed that there are currently no restrictions in place, but urged residents to use as little water as possible.
Stellenbosch Municipality recently disputed reports that indicated that it was facing an imminent water crisis.
Meanwhile, in Cape Town, Zahid Badroodien, mayoral committee member for water and sanitation, said there is no immediate cause for concern about water security in the metro.
“While there is no immediate cause for concern about water security, let us not be complacent and take our current supply for granted. All of us use water, so we all have to save where we can,” he said.
While some parts of the province have recently received heavy rainfall, the provincial government said the water situation in the Central Karoo remains under significant pressure, particularly in Beaufort West.
Laingsburg and Prins Albert are currently more stable, according to the government, but both towns rely heavily on groundwater, which can come under rapid strain during prolonged dry periods.
“We are concerned about the excessive water usage by a Correctional Services facility in Prins Albert, where potable water is being used for a food garden project. Prins Albert Municipality must urgently address this situation,” Mr Bredell concluded.
Find Bolander on TikTok and Instagram @ccmonlineza.